This is not uncommon, in fact this is what drives most gardeners to tweak and constantly tinker with their gardens.
What Does The Perfect Garden Look Like?
The good news is that their is only one person that can truly answer this question.
The bad news is that you are the only one that can answer this question. So what does that mean are you stuck back at square one again? Actually if you are willing to accept these facts than you are well on your way to being able to have that perfect garden you are looking for. So lets take a look at this list.
- A garden is a living thing day to day and year to year it changes. Depending upon what time of the year it is will determine what the plants growing there will look like.
- No two plants grow exactly the same same plant the same size when plants can be within 5 feet of each other and grow at different rates so a variation in size must be considered.
- Weather plays a major role in any garden heat and cold rain and drought even snow fall will be a part of the equations and cause different rates of growth in any one season or a number of seasons in a row.
- Plants must be planted in the right location or they will not grow a shade plant that is planted in full sun will quickly die due to the intolerable growing conditions.
- All plants are susceptible to pest and disease damage while you can help keep them under control you can not eliminate them completely.
- Sometimes a variety or species that you want to use will not grow in the region or the garden conditions you may have to substitute a plant of similar foliage or flowering habits. Fortunately nature offers a huge assortment.
- Probably the most important part is to be flexible, you may have to change your design due to region, topography, space, or many other unforeseen conditions. You need to be able to accept these as they arise and work with what you have.
A Formula For Success
The formula for success in creating the perfect garden is (Research + Research + Research) X 10 = a very lovely garden that may not meet your every vision but it will be one that you can love and enjoy. So here are the 4 steps to follow:
- Research What Your Garden Is For – You must decide what the garden will be used for is it a flower display, a relaxing oasis for meditation, will there be different areas for play, entertaining, display beds, growing vegetables, what is your vision of the garden you must be clear and concise. You must work on this until you have a clear picture of what your garden is for what it’s function is. Make sketches, take notes, do some measurements, describe the plants you want, the more information you gather the more likely you will be happy with the results.
- Research What The Garden Will Cost – You must come up with a budget for your garden so you will know exactly how much money your material and supplies will cost, how much labor will cost you and how much time it will take. Depending on your wants and the design the perfect garden may take several years to create due to budget restraints or time restraints. This is a common problem that many people run into and then they discard the idea because they can’t afford it. Time is a consideration but it also may help you overcome the budget concern by spreading your garden construction over a 5 to even 10 year period. I know this sounds like a long time but spending a little each year will make the perfect garden plan available in almost every case.
- Research Alternate Materials And Methods – The perfect garden plan may require you to be creative and to work a little harder to achieve the look you want.As an example maybe you want a paver patio but the cost of the pavers is the budget buster. Many times you can buy broken pallets of pavers or blocks at a discount because they are left overs and may not have all come from the same run leaving a slight color variation. If you can live with slightly different coloring throughout your patio or seat wall you can save up to 50% of the material costs. Many times you can find great deals on Craigs List of business unloading excess inventory or people who would love to get rid of a privacy fence free for the taking. Many times you can find almost new high quality patio furnishing at Estate Sales that can save you 60% or more on the cost of brand new. These methods of course do take time but the $35,000.00 that your budget says it will cost for material to build your perfect garden can very well end up costing you less than $9,000.00. That is what I call time well spent.
- Setting Up A Schedule And Sticking To It – The most important part of creating the perfect garden is the start date. Once you have gathered together all the research, sketches, ideas, plans, and the budget it will be time to setup your schedule. You know what you want you know how much it will cost you have a good idea of how much time it will take to complete each component so now it should go down on paper. This is the guide that you will use to keep everything headed in the right direction throughout the course of this project. When you decide to make a change or their is a delay you will need to go back and make these changes on your schedule. This is especially true if this is a multiple year build. You will need to keep track to be sure you stay on budget and that you are completing the different phases in the right order. This may seem to be a bit of work but this is not just slapping together a container planting here we are talking about the perfect garden Your Perfect Garden.
If you have questions or need a little help you can always contact me using our contact form. I wish you great success with your garden and would love to hear from you if you would like to have your garden featured on this site.