As the garden is a minefield of pesky insects and therefore potential dangers for small children we have created an easy to follow list to ensure that you are taking all the necessary measures to keep your kids safe from pesky insects in your garden, meaning that you can spend less time worrying and more time relaxing.
Wasps, Bees & Allergies
Obviously spending time in the garden means inevitably we are going to be surrounded by and come into contact with lots of different bugs. Most of them are harmless and a source of fascination and exploration for our kids. However some can pose a threat to the safety of our children so there are some that we need to keep our eyes peeled for and have remedies available should our children come into contact with any of the really pesky ones.
Wasps and bees can come with a really nasty sting, so any children that get stung can find it rather painful and upsetting. Some children can even be allergic, which can pose a very dangerous situation if parents are not prepared. The best way to handle any insect allergies is by getting your children tested. If they prove positive then you can make sure you have the correct medication, close at hand, should they ever get stung.
Similarly, even if your child is not allergic, a wasp or bee sting can still be very painful for a child, so it is worth having some sort of remedy or medication close by whenever your children spend time in the garden. Read more here for information on the remedies you can have, and even make yourself, at home, in the eventuality that your children get stung.
One additional point about bees, and particularly wasps, is that if you’re children have any sugary drinks, in cans or bottles, lying around the garden, make sure they are covered. Wasps, and other insects, are attracted by the sugar, and it very common for wasps to fall into open cans and then of course be unable to get back out again. It can then be very nasty indeed if the child then takes another sip and consumes the wasp. There have been many cases of children digesting wasps and bees, in sugary drinks and then suffering from internal stings, if the wasp is still alive, upon being swallowed. So simply covering sugary drinks can prevent this from happening.
If you live in an area where you have a problem with insects, such as mosquitos, make sure you are covering your kids with a good, but non toxic mosquito repellent. Some strong beet sprays can be too harsh on children’s skin so click here for the best child friendly mosquito repellent sprays.