Gardening is truly a life long learning experience. Everyday I seem to learn something new ,which makes gardening all the more fun and interesting. ThisÃ‚ is one of the reasons I am so glad that I garden for a living it is amazing what nature can do to surprise you. Many of the techniques we use today are still things that have been handed down for hundreds of years and they still continue to work. The technologies of today may be far superior to our ancestors but as I get older I wonder at what cost..
New varieties of disease resistant fruits and vegetables are being grown but when you stop to examine them do they taste as good as the old heirloom varieties are they as juice or meaty do you get that true flavor. I don’t know seems like some of them just don’t measure up to that which grandma and grandpa use to grow.
There are some good things that have come about though that I really like. The mowing robot is one of them. It is electric so it does not cause air pollution and it is set it and forget it so that you are freed up to do other chores. Another great innovation is irrigation systems especially drip irrigation which is a great waterÃ‚ conservation tool.
Some of the things that I learned this year !
- There are over 700 species of butterflies in North America and over 24,000 species world wide.
- Butterflies can see in color green,Ã‚ red, and yellow
- Planting dill near tomatoes plants prevents tomato worms from attacking your plants.
- If you did not get to plant your bulbs in the fall you can get a bag of garden soil lay down a 1″ layer put the bulbs on the layer and cover with 6 ” of garden soil. After blooming be sure and move bulbs to a permanent location.
- Peonies do not need ants to bloom that is an old wives tale.
- The average lifespan of Americas lawn mowers is no longer than 3 years
- The Pumpkin Capital of the world is Morton, Illinois.
- The State of Illinois grows the most pumpkins.
- Hummingbirds can fly but can not walk, it’s feet are only strong enough to hold it upright.
These are just some examples of what I learned this past year there are many more. I think that nowadays we are all caught up in theÃ‚ latest and greatest electronic gadgets and we just don’t seem to take the time to slow down and look around us. To much to do to much work but if you stop to think about our time here is so short that to discover all the wonders and mysteries we still do not have that kind of time.
The most important thing I have learned is that you need to take time for yourself and get away from everything and everybody that put demands on your life and spend some time enjoying being with just you. You will be amazed at how good you will feel and how much you will learn.