I have been working on a perennial flower bed at my in-laws lake house. At one point in time there was a full bed of perennials at the front of the property and by the time the in-laws bought it it was already out of control.
Through the years several attempts were made to control the bed and get it back in shape but as with many things the priority on this project was pushed down the list for many more many more pressing issues. After the decision was made to sell the park model and build a permanent home well you can see what I mean.
Now that the home is completed and the rest of the yard and lakefront finished it was time to work on the perennial flower bed.There were a lot of perennial weeds and volunteer trees growing in the bed. The easy road would have been to tear it out and start from scratch but because of the fact the bed is close to 1000 square feet it would become a bit pricy before the project was finished.
Also there are many spring flowering bulbs and perennials that are still viable. But it also would require some caution to avoid destroying the existing plantings you can see from this photo that the Peonies are just starting to emerge. So I set about cleaning leaves and twigs out with a blower before getting to tromping around in the bed. After the covering of debris were gone I was able to see where the perennial plants were starting to emerge and carefully flagged everything that was to be saved.
The next step was to dig out all the volunteers and get rid of them and finally spray the bed with roundup to get rid of the weeds. Having flagged all the emerging perennials it was a good option and would make summer maintenance a lot easier this year. A second application of roundup was applied a week latter. After the weeds were turning yellow I cut them down to ground level.
At this point I re located several piles of rocks that had been tossed in there through the years as the lawn and landscape were being worked on. Instead of disposing of them I placed them along the front of the bed down near the street and it worked out real well as a ground covering. These recycled rocks not only add interest but will buffer the road salt from the plantings in the winter, and help drainage during a heavy rain storm.
A great use for materials that would go otherwise unused and the best part is the price was right. By using a little creativity you can add uniqueness with out impacting your budget.
Now that the perennials are all up and growing we will be able to create a design to fill in all the blank spaces and enhance the front perennial flower bed in the next couple of months and complete the project.
Because of the early spring this year this project was started the 2nd week of March and is complete to this point on the 15th of April. Spending only a few hours each Saturday we were able to get the project to this point and I anticipate all the planting will be complete by may 15th.
Planning a project out before hand can break it down into some simple tasks that might seem overwhelming if tackled all at one time.